While many consider fitness and nutrition to be the two-headed dragon when it comes to peak health and performance, we tend to forget about the third - sleep.
A quality sleeping regimen is of the utmost important, if not more important than consistent exercise and proper nutrition. Without a good night’s rest, you immediately increase the risks of experiencing negative side-effects like poor-performance, slower cognition, mood swings, hormone fluctuation, weight gain, depression, and more!
An improved sleeping regimen can provide immediate benefits!
In today's digital age, workaholics and the “grind-life” are often put on a pedestal. However, this attitude can lead to poor sleep cycles, lack of rest and recovery, and ultimately - burnout.
Instead, we need to flip the switch on what is truly important so that we can tackle life with a new vengeance.
Benefits of Quality Sleep
Some of the benefits of a proper sleeping regimen are:
• Reduced stress;
• Improved mood;
• Improved performance;
• Weight maintenance;
• Improved brain function;
• Improved mood;
• Lower health/blood markers;
• And more!
As you can tell, this list could be quite lengthy. Above are just a few of the more prominent benefits that we’ve come to understand.
So, how can you improve your sleep?
Great question! Below, we’ll offer some helpful tips that you can implement into your daily/nightly routines immediately! Let’s get into it.
Tips to Better Sleep
While we won’t go into detail on every tip, below is a list of tips that you can begin to consider and, hopefully, implement:
• Reduce light exposure before bedtime (especially blue light, emitted by digital devices!);
• Avoid overconsumption of caffeine during the day (and avoid it all together closer to bedtime!);
• Go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day (consistency is key!);
• Set your bedroom temperature to an optimal 18.3 Degrees Celsius;
• Consider natural melatonin supplements, if needed;
• If you’re a workaholic, schedule your day to END in the early evening (downtime and unwinding are key to a restful sleep!);
• Optimize your lifestyle (i.e. exercise regularly, eat healthy, etc);
• If you struggle with sleep, avoid alcohol, sugar, screen-time, etc.
The importance of sleep is undeniable by looking at the key role it plays in an optimal, healthy lifestyle. Study after study continues to pop-up to further verify this fact.
If you haven’t yet considered it to be a crucial aspect of health, hopefully this blog post has enlightened you. If nothing else, don’t become overwhelmed or concerned. Simply choose two or three tips from the list above and give it a try. You’ll thank yourself later!
The Vegan Online Coach